Finding the right swimwear with a perfect fit can be daunting, especially if you have problem areas to tackle. We’ve collated the perfect swimsuits for anyone with an apple body shape, so you can shop stress-free.
‘Apple-shaped body’ is a term that gets thrown around in the fashion world a lot, but it essentially means a body with a larger bust and midsection. These are also the two areas which are emphasised in swimwear, and so if not styled correctly, it can result in a not-very-flattering outfit. A defining feature of apple figures is that there isn’t a defined waistline, and so we can look to create this with the correct styling.
We’ve put together the best swimwear for the apple shape body type to accentuate your best features.
How To Choose The Perfect Swimsuit For an Apple Shape
- The key to dressing for an apple body type is to create balance in the outfit and find a well-fitting, good-quality bathing suit built to hold a silhouette. Look for swimwear with a built-in tummy control panel around the belly area or boning on the sides, which is very important for those with a full bust.
- In the same breath, look for swimsuits with underwire and structured cups which will support a larger chest. If a swimsuit doesn’t have this, it can make you appear even wider and likely won’t be very comfortable.
- Think about a one-piece swimsuit with color-blocking or bold prints which draws attention to the contrast between, handy in creating the illusion of hourglass figures.
- Just because you aren’t a size zero doesn’t mean swaying away from a bikini. High-waisted bottoms allow for a sliver of skin to be shown, which can actually create the illusion of a smaller waist.
- Think about a ruched swimsuit or one with ruffles to mask a larger tummy area. Be mindful that this shouldn’t be too voluminous – but a little can help!
- Stick to darker colors or a color-block with a dark color around the stomach area. This is a great way to mask a muffin top.
What to Avoid
- Ill-fitting swimwear. A swimsuit which is either too small or too big will make you appear larger, so first focus on finding your correct size in swimwear; this is important if you have a large bust, as your cup size can differ from a bra to a cupped swimsuit.
- Vertical stripes. These emphasise the width of the body, whereas focusing on horizontal stripes can elongate the torso, which is great if you’re petite too!
- Low-waisted bikini bottoms. If you’re looking to create a flattering silhouette, there are very few instances where a low-waist bikini set can do this, so it’s best to steer clear and opt for the more flattering and comfortable high-waist bottoms with a slimming effect
The Best Swimsuits For an Apple Shape
1. & Other Stories Underwire Balconette Bow Bikini Top
Two-piece swimsuits like this are the best to go for when styling an apple shape body. The cups are supportive, and will show off your best assets, whereas the high waisted bottoms are great for masking a larger midsection.
$59 at & Other Stories
2. Maygel Coronel Ceres Two-Piece Bikini
This stunning swimsuit is the perfect bikini for a fun pool party or beach club. While it is still supported, the floral detail draws the attention away from the midsection area.
$240 at Neiman Marcus
3. Hunza G + NET SUSTAIN Jamie twist-front seersucker bikini
Hunza G is notorious for revolutionizing swimwear with their signature seersucker fabric and one-size bikini’s and one-pieces. This fine ruched fabric smooths out any problem area’s and is perfect if you can never find the right size!
$225 at Net-A-Porter
4. Lacoste Cutout Bikini Top
Sporty swimwear can be a great option if you’re making your first venture into two-piece swimsuits as they tend to have a bit more coverage, but are still just as fashionable. Pair with the matching bikini briefs!
$75 at Net-A-Porter
5. Eres Samba Corazon Striped Halterneck Bikini Top
Eres is one of our favorite French swim brands, and this two-piece has all the makings of a winner. A supportive top with underwire cups and halter strips. As well as the matching high waist briefs in a flattering vertical striped pattern.
$520 at Net-A-Porter
6. Beach Riot Blaire Top
This bright bikini is perfect if you have a bigger bust. The cups are unpadded, which means no extra bulkiness in the chest area, and the self-tying straps mean you can adjust accordingly.
$118 at Revolve
7. Magicsuit Mila One-Piece Romper Swimsuit
If you’re not comfortable in swimwear, this is what dreams are made of. The comfort and ease of a romper has been married with a swimsuit to create this stylist swimsuit.
$174 at Nordstrom
8. Tommy Bahama Island Cays Cabana Ruffle Tankini Top
This tankini top is perfect if exposing your tummy is just something you’d rather not do. Not only does this have full coverage, but also has built in sun protection; increasingly important as our summer heat gets even hotter.
$128 at Nordstrom
9. Profile by Gottex Bow Tie V-Neck Tankini Swim Top
This full coverage tankini top is fully padded and has adjustable straps, though the brand does advise this is best suited for those who are a d-cup in their bra size.
$108 at Neiman Marcus
10. SIMKHAI Noa Bustier One Piece
We’ve spoken abotu creating the illusion of a waist, and if thats something you need, this is the right swimsuit for you. Not only does this beautiful swimsuit have underwired cups, but also a removable and ajdustable belt to cinch in that waist!
$195 at Revolve
11. BEACH RIOT x REVOLVE Carlie One Piece
Similarly, this one piece has a color blocking pattern and tie detail at the waist. Both of these elements draw the eye to the waist, away from the other areas.
$158 at Revolve
12. SIMKHAI Laine Draped Satin Swimwear
If your tummy is a problem area, ruching is your best friend. It draws attention away from lumps and bumps, while also smoothing them out to create a beach-ready look!
$265 at Revolve
13. Tommy Bahama Colorblock Scoop Back One-Piece Swimsuit
This is colorblocking done right. The darker color will always be minimized, and the light color accentuated. Therefore this piece creates a smaller bottom half and accentuates the bust area.
$107 at Nordstrom
14. Norma Kamali Halter One-Piece Swimsuit
Norma Kamali are known for their ability to make sexy garments that are comfortable and emphasise the correct features. This double panel ruching means your torso is smoothed under the fabric and then masked by the ruching; making this is a perfect swimsuit for those with an apple shape – it’s our promise you’ll look snatched for the summer!
$205 at Nordstrom
15. Melissa Obadash Panarea One-Piece Swimsuit
If you’re not as concenred with your midsection as you are with creating a waist illusion, this is the one for you. This stunning sea blue swimsuit has a wide ruched panel under the bust smoothing and cinching the area.
$258 at Nordstrom
We hope this guide to styling swimsuits for an apple shape body has helped you find a few options for your next vacation! For more swimsuit guides, make sure to check out our posts below.