Finding the perfect bathing suit can be challenging, especially if you have specific concerns. If you’re packing a lil’ extra in your bottom half, take a look at our guide to the best swimsuits for pear shape bodies.
The pear body shape is also known as a triangle body shape and essentially means your upper body is smaller than your lower body, a bit like that of a pear! When looking for flattering swimwear to accentuate your curves in the right places, you’ll want to look for details to highlight your upper body.
If you need help finding the right swimwear for your pear-shaped body, we’ve put together 15 of our favorite pieces to compliment your figure!
How To Choose The Perfect Swimsuits For a Pear Shape
1. Focus on your upper half. Pear-shaped bodies often have a smaller bust and narrow shoulders, and so to create balance, it’s best to draw attention here. Opt for a piece with ruffles or elaborate styles on the top half. A great idea could be opting for halter tops!
2. Cinch the waist. Focusing on the waist area to draw attention from wider hips can help create the illusion of an hourglass shape. You can do this with high-waisted bikini bottoms or even boy shorts, which are now available in many fashionable colors and styles.
3. Colorblocking. Opting for lighter color blocks around the area’s to highlight and darker colors around the stomach area will help create a flattering look. This doesn’t have to be all colors of the rainbow if you aren’t one to experiment. We’ve included a couple of these options on our list in tones of black and white, to create a classic look.
4. Tummy control. If your stomach is a problem area, it may even play up on vacation with traveling and bloating worsening the issue. Looking for swimsuits with tummy control panels or ruching over the area can help camouflage this.
5. Pay attention to the cups. If you have a smaller chest area, there are two ways to tackle this. Either you go for a top with a push-up bra-like function, or you go for a bandeau style to highlight what you already have. Many push-up swimsuits have built-in cups and wiring, and if your chest area is very small, this may gape open, which wouldn’t be a very flattering look.
What to Avoid
1. Low waists. Low-waisted bikini bottoms can draw too much attention to the lower half of your stomach area, which is not likely to create a flattering look. Go for high-waisted bottoms instead!
2. A frumpy look. It can be tempting to cover everything up in a loose swim dress; however, doing so can actually create a more unflattering silhouette than just figuring out what swimwear looks best on your body type.
3. Ill-fitting swimsuits. Those with a pear-shaped body often struggle to find clothing to fit properly as their top half is smaller than their bottom half. Going for a two-piece [which can be purchased separately in different sizes], or for a one-piece with a belt detail, means you can adjust according to your liking.
The Best Swimsuits For a Pear Shape
1. Becca Rainbow Sunset Metallic Stripe One-Piece Swimsuit
This colourful one-piece swimsuit is great if you have a small bust. Bold patterns like these emphasise the area, while the plunging neckline will draw attention to your chest, making it appear as though you have a larger bust.
$154 at Nordstrom
2. BLEU by Rod Beattie Graphic Measures Cap Sleeve One-Piece Swimsuit
In general color terms, white highlights while black camouflages. This belted one piece swimsuit highlights the chest area, while the belted black lower half creates the illusion of an hourglass body shape, and covers up any lumps and bumps.
$119 at Nordstrom
3. Lisa Marie Fernandez Dree Louise Colorblock One-Piece Swimsuit
Similarly, this color block swimsuit has a tie detail, which is great if you have larger hips, as the fabric can be draped over the area to camouflage. White and black are also great swimsuit colors if you want to accessorize your beach or pool looks!
$595 at Nordstrom
4. Trina Turk Monaco Bandeau One-Piece Swimsuit
If your ultimate goal is to add more volume to your chest area, a ruffled swimsuit like this is perfect. The rest of the piece is extremely plain, so the eye is drawn to the top.
$72 at Neiman Marcus
5. Paolita Heartbreaker Bianca Belted One-Piece Swimsuit
Again, ruffles are your best friend. This bold, belted swimsuit in bright colors not only draws attention to the top half of the suit, but the belt can also be cinched to bring in the waist.
$277 at Neiman Marcus
6. Milly Cabana Tropical Pineapple Belted One-Piece Swimsuit
This patterned one-piece is perfect if you feel a swimsuit never does your pear-shaped figure any favors. The belt detail means you can adjust and fit it according to your liking.
$325 at Neiman Marcus
7. MAYGEL CORONEL Santa Ruffle One-Piece Swimsuit
For classic black swimsuit lovers, this one piece is the perfect mix of subtle and statement with a voluminous ruffled shoulder detail.
$330 at Neiman Marcus
8. & Other Stories Ribbed Bandeau Bikini
$49 at & Other Stories
9. Beach Riot Heidi Colorblock High Waist Bikini
$98 at Nordstrom
10. Artesands Nefertiti Vermeer Strapless Bikini
$115 at Neiman Marcus
11. PatBo Ocean Leaf Bikini
$286 at Revolve
12. Bahia Maria Margarita Bandeau Bikini
$217 at Revolve
13. ALAÏA Pointelle-knit Bandeau Bikini
$690 at Net-A-Porter
14. HUNZA G + NET SUSTAIN Jamie Twist-front Seersucker Bikini
HUNZA G became famous for his classic one-size pieces, which magically fit all sizes perfectly, and cover any lumps and bumps, resulting in a sleek look. This bikini set with a twist detail top creates the illusion of a push-up top, great if you have a small chest.
$225 at Net-A-Porter
15. ADRIANA DEGREAS Victoria Regia High-waisted Bandeau Bikini
$309 at Revolve
We hope this guide to styling swimsuits for a pear shape body has helped you find a few options for your next vacation! For more swimsuit guides, make sure to check out our posts below.